Thursday, October 24, 2013

Geog 335 Lab 3: Introduction to GPS


Goals and Objectives: The main goal of this project was to learn how to use a Trimble Juno device to map points, lines, and polygons accurately. Along with this developed skill, learning how to transfer these points to Arc GIS to create a usable map from data in the field was another major goal of this lab.
Methods: To complete this lab, the first thing we learned how to do was use a Trimble Juno device in the field. The capabilities of this device is strong, but the speed it runs at almost counteracts its usefulness (at least it feels like it does), but it is still gets the job done. To start the lab, I had downloaded a satellite image of the area onto my Juno, along with a map of where all buildings exist/existed as of 2010. The building location was not up to date, which is why you will see a building where one does not exist on the map. I left this as reference, it could be removed easily if needed to.
 Next, I went out into the field and plotted 6 separate points, adding a label to each feature (trees x3, poles x3). Nothing too difficult there, and I continued on to plot 6 grassy areas. Three of these areas were created using point streaming, which means you can walk in any direction and it will constantly update the line that you’re creating. The other three were created point by point, at every major turn of the polygons I created, I plotted a point on the device. This makes the lines perfectly straight in the polygon. And last, I created a line across the campus footbridge. The only other piece of equipment I used would be my longboard, but that was mainly to make this lab go faster (success).
Third, moving over the data from the Juno device into a map took a bit of work. Converting files never sounds fun, but once you’ve done it enough it doesn’t take any time at all. Making the map cartographically pleasing was fun. I learned how to change the image of the points into things that better represented the objects. Instead of just different colored points for the trees and the light posts, I was able to change the trees into actual images of green trees. I also changed the light posts into pushpins. I would have created them bigger to see, but since I am working from a satellite image, I don’t think a large point to represent a single tree or lamp post would be appropriate. I also added a legend to show what every color and line represents, along with changed the grassy areas from a light green tint over my aerial picture, to an actual grassy area image. To finish it off, I placed a north aero on the map, along with a scale, and my sources (where I had got the satellite image from.
Results: For the results, I have this map of the UWEC campus to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment